Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I cared that you were so completely beautiful
nothing but perfect as you sat next to me on your couch
both hands wrapped around your mason jar full of hot tea
that had undoubtedly gone too cold and strong by then
with the teabag still floating somewhere in its opaque midsts

what I mean is that it meant something that you were
so happy to see me and pick up where we had left off

I remembered the first time I spoke with you
and we read poetry to each other by an icy river in the mountains
while the others were off climbing mountains or something
that didn't really interest us

because we were just happy to sit there and ask
does this work?
do you know what I mean?
what am I doing with my life?

questions that could have mean everything at the time
were commonplace in those first moments
when I would try to keep my place in our conversation
when all I wanted was to run my hands through your hair

all I wanted was to tangle myself in you
all I wanted was to let you know

No comments: